'You've got to respect him' – Ray Parlour defends Ben White after Arsenal star snubs England call-up | HUVRIVY | 2024-03-23 16:08:01
Arsenal legend Ray Parlour has urged England followers to 'respect' Ben White's choice after the defender made himself unavailable for worldwide selection within the build-up to this summer's European Championships.
Gareth Southgate named uncapped trio Jarrad Branthwaite, Anthony Gordon and Ezri Konsa in his 25-man squad for England's Euro 2024 warm-up matches towards Brazil and Belgium last week.
Nevertheless, White's omission proved the headline news, with Southgate revealing at his press convention that the 26-year-old had requested not to be considered for selection through Arsenal's sporting director Edu.
White has not featured for the Three Lions since leaving the Qatar World Cup early in 2022, citing 'personal reasons', amid studies of a training ground altercation with Southgate's trusted assistant Steve Holland.
Southgate has since admitted he fears White will face a 'backlash' for turn down the call to symbolize his nation, with former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp subsequently blasting the versatile defender's 'disgusting' decision.
However ex-Arsenal and England midfielder Parlour is more understanding of White's state of affairs and believes Southgate choosing to favour Eric Dier at the World Cup might have been the supply of his frustration.
'What he's executed at Arsenal has been sensible. Great, nice signing,' Parlour informed talkSPORT.
'I feel the World Cup actually shocked him somewhat bit because there was a chance the place he in all probability might have been substituted and come on and I feel Gareth went with Eric Dier, who wasn't enjoying regularly at Spurs on the time.
'That basically affected him because he was enjoying sensible. He couldn't have been enjoying better at that period.
I'm positive Ben will admit himself that he's not the most important lover of soccer. Not everyone does. However what he's carried out at Arsenal is sensible.'
Parlour added: 'I went in a great deal of squads where I didn't get a cap and was just there in case I received my alternative.
'He has three or four right-backs in entrance of him, hasn't he? [Kieran] Tripper, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James if he's fit… so it's troublesome. I know he can play in a three at the back as properly at centre-half.
'But that's his determination. Not everyone likes individuals's selections and you've received to respect him for that.'
Rasmus Hojlund urges Erik ten Hag to start playing 'class' Man Utd star
Ian Wright names the Manchester United star who is a 'massive problem'
Ben White snubbed England after 'barbed comment' from Steve Holland in front of teammates
Parlour is curious to seek out out what White's mindset can be ought to he receive a call-up in a state of affairs where Southgate is not the England manager.
'It is going to be really fascinating to see what occurs if Gareth did move on and the new manager is available in,' he went on.
'Would he [White] say, "Look, I'm obtainable now and I need to be in that squad"?, as a result of then you recognize there's a little bit of friction between Gareth, Steve Holland, whoever is behind the scenes.
'That may be the telltale sign.'
For extra stories like this, check our sport page.
Comply with Metro Sport for the newest information on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Privacy PolicyThis website is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
More >> https://ift.tt/rP3YSXI Source: MAG NEWS