Match report to appear here.
Advertisement
Head here to get involved
CELEBRITIES NEWS
Match report to appear here.
Advertisement
Head here to get involved
The 2027 summer scouting report series rolls on, as we stay in the secondary and feature Syracuse cornerback Chris Peal. Peal originally committed to Georgia, where he would play two seasons sparingly, before transferring to play for the Orange last season.
What does his summer scouting report look like? Let's talk about it.
Advertisement
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200 lbs
Recruiting rank: Four-star recruit, no. 25 cornerback nationally
Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina
Games watched: Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Boston College
Chris Peal might be one of the strongest zone defenders in the 2027 NFL Draft. His natural feel for his assignment, paired with great instincts to collapse on his man, is second to none. Peal is as reliable a tackler as you will find, as seen by his seven tackles against Georgia Tech. Ideal frame for the position with stellar top-end speed. You will rarely see Peal get beaten on the deep ball. Rangy cornerback who jams well in press coverage, but uses his length to disrupt passes.
59 targets in one season? Not bad. Zero interceptions across 59 targets, not ideal. While Peal jams well, he tends to play off a bit too much, allowing his defender to run wild after the catch. Got picked on quite a bit against Notre Dame. Only one season of tape leaves questions about his evaluation as a top cornerback prospect in the class. This season will be huge for Peal if he wants to elevate his stock to being near the top of the group.
This article originally appeared on Vikings Wire:2027 Summer Scouting Report on Syracuse CB Chris Peal
Donald Trump on Friday said he has decided to skip out on his son's wedding, saying his "love for the United States of America" is keeping him in Washington.
Donald Trump Jr.and Bettina Anderson are expected to hold a small, private wedding ceremony for close family. The ceremony will reportedly be held in the Bahamas,according to CNN.
"While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,"Trump wrote on Truth Social.
•Barron Trump's relationship with his siblings was affected by Melania's 'complicated' parenting
•Donald Trump smashes five negative polling records in space of days
"I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina!" he continued.
After he made the post announcing he would not attend, Turmp jetted off for Upstate New York to stump forRep. Mike Lawleras he runs for reelection in a high stakes Congressional racefor Republicans. NY-17, which covers the lower Hudson Valley, is pivotal for the GOP if the party is to retainits slim majority in the House.
Advertisement
Trump previously said he would try to make his eldest son's wedding but added that "it is not good timing for me."
“He’d like me to go, but it’s going to be just a small little private affair, and I’m going to try and make it,” Trump told reporters. "I’m in the midst — I said, you know, this is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things. That’s one I can’t win on.”
The president said he'd be attacked by the media regardless of what decision he made.
“That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed,” he said.
Trump Jr.'s siblings are expected to attend the ceremony.
The wedding will mark Trump Jr.’s second marriage. He was previously married toVanessa Trumpfor 12 years before their divorce in 2018. Vanessa Trumpis now dating Tiger Woods.
He was also previously engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, who is now the U.S. ambassador to Greece and the ex-wife ofCalifornia Gov. Gavin Newsom, from 2020 to 2024.
A woman revealed that men match with her on dating apps just to tell her she should lose weight
Libby Rose Martin said she finally clapped back after a guy sent her one particularly cruel message
Martin hopes her experience reminds other women that online bullying “says more about them than it does about you"
A woman clapped back at a man who matched with her on adating appjust to tell her she needed to lose weight.
Libby Rose Martin said she joined an online dating app in 2025 in the hopes of finding romance — but she’s seen her fair share of body-shaming and bullying instead, per Kennedy News and Media.
"I've had so many people commenting on my body, I get so sick of it,” said Martin of Kent, England. "A couple times I've had other men match me purely to comment on my weight.”
"I've had quite a few guys slide into my DMs saying, 'I'll be your personal trainer' or a few guys saying, 'I don't know what you're doing on here. You're never going to get a boyfriend with the way you look.' It's the way of the world, unfortunately,” she added.
However, after one particularly egregious incident in which a guy matched with Martin, 22, only to write, “You sure can take in calories” and that he was a “hero” just trying to “motivate” her, Martindecided to clap back.
“Just because I’mplus sizedoesn’t mean I’m unhappy in my body,” the fashion designer wrote back.
“Don’t EVER believe that you are respecting women if it’s only the ones you’re attracted to,” she continued, adding that she had been battling an eating disorder for many years.
“Imagine someone said this to your mom, your sister or even your daughter one day, how would you feel?” she asked.
While the man responded with more insults, Martin said she wasproud she spoke up for herself.
"I wasn't even attracted to him and didn't want to give him a chance. What I wanted to do was take that opportunity to educate him,” she explained. “I can't believe someone would go that far as to match with me out of spite and a way to put me in my place.”
"I think he saw someone who seemed quite genuine and vulnerable and thought he'd use that to his advantage to shame me and assumed I wasn't going to clap back," she continued.
"He's on a dating app and we're both single but … why is he single? It's probably because he can't keep a relationship because he's so narrow-minded in his ideas,” Martin said, adding that the man ultimately blocked her.
Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Advertisement
“I think he was surprised I wrote that much and was insightful. I feel proud that I was able to put my point across,” she said. "My main point was to educate, and I feel good that I showed him he didn't get to me. He thinks I'm vulnerable, and I'm not."
Martin went on to say that while dating can be hard for everyone, it can be even harderfor plus-sized people.
"I feel like we're such a marginalized community,” she said.
Sign up forFrom the Editor, our free weekly newsletter from PEOPLE's Editor-in-Chief, Charlotte Triggs.
"Being plus-sized, I've been fetishized. I've had people say to me, ‘I'll have sex with you and do stuff with you, but I never want to be seen with you. I don't want anyone knowing that I'm seeing a big girl because it's embarrassing,’ ” she said.
"Skinny people do have the advantage and pretty privilege does exist. When I go out with my skinny friends, they get acknowledged by guys and I won't be,” Martin added.
The woman hopes her story helps remind other plus-sized women that bullying on dating apps says “more about them than it does about you.”
"You can choose to educate [the person] and you can choose to not. A lot of women will just hit the 'block' button and that's completely fine,” she said.
"They're single and probably single for that reason,” she added of the men.
Martin also hopes to remind others that happiness is not about a number on a scale.
"You're going to look back at your life and remember thatamazing trip you took, or that amazing summer you spent. You're not going to worry about you not [fitting] into a dress,” she said.
If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder,The Alliance for Eating Disordersprovides a fully-staffed helpline at 1-866-662-1235, as well as free, therapist-led support groups.
Read the original article onPeople
SHANGHAI, May 23 (Reuters) - At least 90 people were killed in a gas explosion at a coal mine in China's northern province of Shanxi, the country's deadliest mining accident since at least 2009.
The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua reported.
The mine is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, which was established in 2010 and is controlled by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group, according to corporate database Qichacha.
Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the accident was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan. Shanxi is China's coal-mining heartland.
President Xi Jinping called for authorities to "spare no effort" in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.
Advertisement
Premier Li Qiang called for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.
China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities - often caused by gas explosions or flooding - since the early 2000s through more stringent regulations and safer practices.
In 2009, a coal and gas outburst in Heilongjiang Province killed 108 people and injured 133.
Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.
Shanxi provincial authorities have dispatched seven rescue and medical teams totalling 755 personnel to the site, the emergency management bureau at Qinyuan said.
(Reporting by Shanghai Newsroom and Fabiola Arámburo in Mexico City; Editing by Tom Hogue, Kim Coghill and William Mallard)
Advertisement
Coach Mike Brown correctly pulled Hart in Game 1 for Landry Shamet. But having Hart on the court causes so much confusion for theCavaliersas they try to crossmatch, leaving an unbalanced floor and the energetic Hart in position to take full advantage with open shots and setting up teammates. When Hart wasn't finding teammates, it was Brunson finding Hart for one of his playoff-high 14 assists."It's just who Josh is. He's a gamer. He knew what he had to do in terms of adjustments he needed to make in order to be effective," Brown said. "He was great, he was decisive. We have to play fast, so we're not going against a set defense all the time."
This article originally appeared on Hoops Hype:"It's just who Josh is. He's a gamer. He knew what he …
TheBig Tenholds the cards, and it’s showing theSECits hand.
The numbers are 12 or 24.
"We've had zero conversation about 16 (playoff teams)," Big Ten commissioner Tony Petittisaid at the conference’s spring meetings in California.
That’s the line in the sand.
If the SEC wants to expand theCollege Football Playoff, then the number is 24, a number set by Petitti.
Or, the playoff can stay at 12 teams, a format the Big Ten has dominated in its brief existence.
Petitti’s hardball stance amounts to a move ripped from the Greg Sankey playbook.
You’ll remembera few years ago, Sankey held the best cards in playoff expansion talks. The SEC's commissioner wasn’t afraid to use them.
When other conference commissioners supported an eight-team playoff that included six automatic bids for conference champions, Sankey erected a firewall.
Sankey laid out three options:
1. Status quo of a four-team playoff, which the SEC dominated.
2. An eight-team playoff with no automatic bids and only at-large selections.
3. A 12-team playoff that’d include a mix of automatic and at-large bids.
The eight-team playoff, with six AQs, died on the vine because the SEC vehemently opposed it.
After some squabbling, Option 3 emerged as the winner.
Now, the shoe has switched feet, and the Big Ten is setting the terms for the playoff’s size.
The SEC must choose between a format the Big Ten rules (12) or an expansion model the Big Ten suggested (24), instead of the format SEC headquarters prefers (16, including 11 at-large bids).
So much for theSEC-B1G buddy groupthe conferences announced two years ago, in a pledge to team up to solve problems together.
Petitti, a former MLB Network executive, took the reins of the Big Ten in 2023. He swiftly learned college athletics is a get-mine business and no place for friendship bracelets.
Advertisement
I’m opposed to a 24-team bracket. It would turn an already long playoff into a five-round affair and bulldoze the playoff’s exclusivity, by opening access to 8-4 teams.
Most importantly, it would devalue the greatest regular season in all of sports.
Petitti likes to point to MLB’s playoff expansion — it went from eight to 10 to ultimately 12 teams — as a model for the CFP.
He’s comparing apples to oranges. It’s absurd to compare a sport with a 162-game regular season and a full complement of games each day to a sport with a 12-game regular season that turns each fall Saturday into appointment viewing.
College basketballserves as a better comparisonfor what Petitti attempts to do to college football.
In a rare act of teamwork,Sankey and Petitti helped muscle through March Madness expansion to 76 teams.College basketball’s regular season is low-stakes filler. At 76 teams, a power-conference team might need only to finish barely above .500 to earn tournament selection. The college basketball diehards watch throughout a monthslong regular season, but most folks wander in when March arrives, as the postseason nears.
Hey, that works for college basketball, which is a tournament sport. College football is distinctly not a tournament sport. It’s always been more of a rivalry-Saturday kind of a sport, where every outcome matters.
Although I object Petitti’s vision for the playoff, I understand why he’s not motivated to meet in the middle at 16. He’s paid to represent the Big Ten, and a 16-team bracket would be a greater benefit to the SEC, based on recent history.
Plus, a mega-sized playoff like the 24-teamer the Big Ten supports would allow Fox, its media rights partner, a chance at getting a piece of the playoff pie.
ESPN, the SEC’s media partner and CFP rights holder, prefers a playoff of no more than 16.
With Petitti’s line in the sand drawn, next week’s SEC spring meetings will test Sankey’s power and mettle. They’ll also offer a peek at what size playoff the conference’s presidents and chancellors prefer. Those campus administrators are the quiet but powerful brokers in these negotiations, more so than coaches or athletic directors.
Consider the SEC a company where Sankey functions as CEO serving at the pleasure of the presidents and chancellors, who operate as the company’s board of directors.
Georgia president Jere Morehead, an influential voice among the SEC's presidents and chancellors,told The Athletica 24-team playoff would be "a mistake." Morehead added he thinks the SEC's university brass will follow Sankey's guidance.
Can Sankey persuade the SEC’s presidents and chancellors to stay at 12 teams, if 16 isn’t possible? At 12 teams,the SEC doesn't face a playoff access problem. It received more bids to the 12-team bracket in two years than any other conference. Playoff performance has become the SEC’s issue, a problem that’s not inherently solved by expansion.
A 24-team playoff likely would end conference championship games. If Sankey could convince university administrators the SEC championship game is a sacred cash cow worth saving, that might extend the life of the 12-team playoff.
Don’t expect a solution at the SEC meetings, but they’ll be a bellwether of the conference’s latest playoff mood.
The Big Ten discarded the 16-team option. The SEC has six months to decide which card to choose from the Big Ten's hand: 12 or 24.
Blake Toppmeyeris the USA TODAY Network's senior national college football columnist. Email him atBToppmeyer@gannett.comand follow him on X@btoppmeyer.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:SEC's College Football Playoff plans for 16 teams boxed out by Big Ten