What we know about the 2 National Guard members shot near White House

What we know about the 2 National Guard members shot near White House

One of the two National Guard members from West Virginia wounded in a shooting indowntown Washington, D.C.near the White House on Wednesday, has died and the other is "fighting for his life," President Donald Trump said Thursday evening.

Trump announced the death of 20-year-old Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom during a phone call with members of the military for Thanksgiving.

Calling Beckstrom a "highly respected, young, magnificent person," Trump said, "She's just passed away. She's no longer with us. She's looking down at us right now. Her parents are with her. It's just happened."

The other Guard member, 24-year-old U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, was in critical condition, officials said earlier Thursday.

"This is not the result we hoped for, but it is the result we all feared, West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey said in a statement posted on social media.

"Sarah served with courage, extraordinary resolve, and an unwavering sense of duty to her state and to her nation," Morrisey said in the post. "She answered the call to serve, stepped forward willingly, and carried out her mission with the strength and character that define the very best of the West Virginia National Guard."

In a statement, the West Virginia National Guard confirmed Beckstrom's death.

Beckstrom was assigned to a military police company as part of the West Virginia National Guard, entering the service in June 2023, according to the West Virginia National Guard.

The Guard unit said she was a resident of Summersville, West Virginia, and a 2023 graduate of Webster County High School.

"She volunteered to serve as part of Operation DC Safe and Beautiful helping to ensure the safety and security of our nation's capital," the West Virginia National Guard said in the statement. "Her loss is felt profoundly across our One Guard Family and throughout the Mountain State."

Wolfe, the other Guardsmen wounded in the shooting, was a member of the Air National Guard in West Virginia who entered the service in February 2019 and had earned numerous service medals.

The two Guard members joined the D.C. task force at the beginning of the mission in early August, the West Virginia National Guard said in a statement.

"Unfortunately today, as most families join together to give thanks for the blessings that have been bestowed upon them, two families are shattered and destroyed and torn apart as a result of the actions of one man," Jeanine Pirro, U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, said during a Thursday morning news conference.

Nathan Howard/Reuters - PHOTO: Pictures of two National Guard members who were shot in Washington, D.C. are displayed at a press conference with FBI Director Kash Patel, attorney Jeanine Pirro and other authorities in Washington, D.C., Nov. 27, 2025.

During the press conference on Thursday, Pirro said the two Guardsmen were sworn in 24 hours prior to being shot. A joint task force spokesperson later said the two Guard members were deputized less than 24 hours before the shooting to "maintain their status to conduct presence patrols," according to a joint task force spokesperson.

Hundreds more National Guard troops expected to arrive in DC

The Guardsmen's orders in the nation's capital had been set to expire on Nov. 30, but they volunteered to stay on extended orders, according to the West Virginia National Guard.

The extension was authorized by West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey at President Donald Trump's request through the end of the year.

The president has insisted that Guard members were needed to secure the city. While many of them patrolled metro stations, the rest worked on beautification projects around the city and with food banks.

Brigadier Gen. Leland D. Blanchard II, commander of the D.C. National Guard, was emotional while discussing the struggles the families of the victims will face this Thanksgiving -- with all their lives "changed forever because one person decided to do this horrific and evil thing."

Nathan Howard/Reuters - PHOTO: Pictures of National Guard members Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom are displayed at a press conference, after they were shot in Washington, D.C., Nov. 27, 2025.

The two Guardsmen were armed at the time of the shooting, Jeffery Carroll, the executive assistant chief for the Metropolitan Police Department, said on Wednesday.

The National Guard was deployed to the nation's capital as part of Trump'sfederal takeover of the city in August. According to the most recent update, there are 2,188 Guard personnel assigned to D.C.

Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images - PHOTO: Law-enforcement officers secure the area after a shooting in downtown Washington, D.C., on Nov. 26, 2025.

After the shooting, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Trump has asked to send another 500 National Guardsmen to D.C.

What to know about the 29-year-old suspected gunman in the National Guardsmen shooting

Thesuspected shooterwas identified as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who allegedly drove across the country from Washington state to the nation's capital and targeted the Guardsmen, officials said.

Lakanwal was charged with three counts of assault with the intent to kill while armed and criminal possession of a weapon, but he could also face the charge of first-degree murder depending on the conditions of the Guardsmen, Pirro said.

ABC News' Anne Flaherty contributed to this report.

 

VOUX MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com